Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Little Patience Goes a Long Way



During the holidays, people seem to be going non-stop. From Thanksgiving to the end of the year, there are endless parties and sales. People get caught up in the hustle and bustle and forget to be patient and kind.

As for me, I have been working non-stop for no apparent reason, hence the later posting times. I've come down with a cold I can't seem to shake, and my patience is wearing thin.

As a social worker, now is the time of the year when my clients are most in need and more angry than ever. I get called everything from an angel to a something else we won't mention here, being told I am personally responsible for their holiday tragedies. I have to be the bearer of bad news, and some people handle it better than others.

Today I realized something. Lately I have not dealt with everyone in the loving and patient way I wouuld want to be handled with. I seem to have forgotten in my daily journey that compassion and lovingkindness are the virtures that I am working for. In Buddhism, these are the highest qualities in a person. On my dresser I have a statue of the Boddhisatva Kwan Yin to remind me of this. Maybe I ought to take her to work.

So, this season, when you feel your temper rising, take a deep breath. Smile. And remember to be patient. Not everyone is as fortunate as you.

No comments: