Saturday, January 05, 2008

Seeds for Change: a Month of Mindfulness


Change we must or die we will.
-Anonymous

Change is inevitable, whether we like it or not. What are some of the things you would like to change about yourself?

Nothing? Come on, I know about your New Year's Resolutions. Even if you've resolved not to make any, there must be something you're thinking about.

Even though I don't make resolutions, after all the reviewing I have done at the end of my year, there are habits I'm considering changing.

Mindfulness an important part of change. In order to know what we don't like about ourselves, we have to be mindful of it. Although this process happens subconsciously, making an effort to look at my behavior as an outside observer is the first step in figuring out what it is about myself I want to change.

Take a month to try this. Instead of going about your day acting and reacting without paying much attention, try to watch your behavior as if you're looking at a friend. Don't change your behavior because you know someone (you) is watching. If you do that, it won't work.

Keep a small notebook with you wherever you go and take notes of what you see. Next month we'll see how we can use mindfulness to initiate change.

No comments: