Thursday, February 21, 2008

Accepting Compliments Gracefully


Ever been to a roast? No, not the thing your mom used to make for dinner, but an event where someone is the center of attention but everyone else is talking about them.

I recently was the speaker at an event where I didn't do so good due to my nervousness. So, instead of everyone talking about what I said, they all sat around and gave me compliments. Which left me really uncomfortable.

But then I began to realize something. I have worked really hard to get where I am, and people genuinely appreciate the influence I have had on their lives. So, I stopped shaking my head and burying my face in my hands when people were talking, and thanked them instead.

How often we want to focus on the bad and when someone says something nice about us, our negativity keeps us from accepting it gracefully.

The next time someone says something nice, just say thank you, with sincerity, no matter how uncomfortable it is. You deserve it.

No comments: