Thursday, October 27, 2005

Enjoy Life Before It Passes You By

Have you ever seen one of those people on TV who can spin 27 plates at the same time while whistling The Star Spangled Banner? You watch in amazement as they manage to keep all of them going at the same speed, until... Oh no! You see a plate starting to slow down and hope they can get to it in time before it falls and breaks...Whew! Just in the nick of time, they save the day, and the fine china.

With all the responsibilities and distractions of everyday life, sometimes I feel like I am balancing 27 plates at one time. Work, school, relationships, spiritual growth, bills...

I can get so focused on keeping all of these plates from crashing to the ground that I forget to stop and enjoy life. I forget that I am a human being, not a human doing. The plates may crash and fall no matter how hard I try to keep them spinning. Or, the same one who makes the world go round will have no trouble keeping my plates spinning for me if I want to go out for a smoke break.

While I am not advocating a life free of responsibility and distractions by any means, please don't forget to have fun! Life is a precious, wonderful and fragile thing. And the most important part of it is that you choose, for the most part, how you spend your time. If you feel like you never have any time for yourself, delegate some of your responsibilities to someone else or give them up. If you feel like you have too much time to yourself, find something that's meaningful to you, such as a hobby or volunteer work, and go do it!

Life is what you make of it and what you do with it. How's yours?

No comments: